from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To succeed in doing; bring to pass. See Synonyms at perform.
- transitive v. To reach the end of; complete.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To finish successfully.
- v. To complete, as time or distance.
- v. To bring to an issue of full success; to effect; to perform; to execute fully; to fulfill; as, to accomplish a design, an object, a promise.
- v. To equip or furnish thoroughly; hence, to complete in acquirements; to render accomplished; to polish.
- v. To gain; to obtain. - Shakespeare
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To complete, as time or distance.
- transitive v. To bring to an issue of full success; to effect; to perform; to execute fully; to fulfill.
- transitive v. To equip or furnish thoroughly; hence, to complete in acquirements; to render accomplished; to polish.
- transitive v. To gain; to obtain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To complete; finish; reach the end of; bring to pass; actually do: as, he works hard, but accomplishes nothing.
- To bring about by performance or realization; execute; carry out; fulfil: as, to accomplish a vow, promise, purpose, or prophecy.
- Hence To gain; obtain as the result of exertion.
- To make complete by furnishing what is wanting: as— To equip or provide with material things.
- To equip or furnish mentally; fit by education or training.
- Synonyms and Execute, Achieve, etc. (see perform), complete, finish, consummate, succeed in, work out, fulfil, realize, bring to pass, end.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. put in effect
- v. to gain with effort
What they are really trying to accomplish is to deny any coverage to any woman who gets an abortion whether she has additional private insurance or pays out of pocket.
The only thing she's likely to accomplish is to destroy the Democratic Party.
The first thing any rifle/cartridge combo has to accomplish is to make a hole where you point it.
I think all we really want to accomplish is to provide ways — wikis, email, blogs, you tell me — for people to more readily communicate their needs and solutions.
Dame Judy Dench, when asked by a British newspaper what she still wanted to accomplish in life, replied without skipping a beat: "The only thing I want to accomplish is to go back to Newfoundland."
The only good thing the "tea party" will accomplish is the break up the the republican party.
Everything she has tried to accomplish is still unresolved.
On the most optimistic view, all that Obamacare can accomplish is what, in objective fact, it aims to accomplish, namely, shift the burden of paying for medical care away from its immediate recipients.
Just about the only thing diversity can actually accomplish is to undermine meritocracy, and that it has done.
All these discussions accomplish is to alienate various sectors of the Senate and ensure the safe non-passage of this bill.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.