from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, the first woman and the wife of Adam.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The first woman and mother of the human race; Adam's wife.
- proper n. An unspecified primordial woman, from whom many or all people are descended.
- proper n. A female given name.
- proper n. A conventional name for an agent attempting to intercept a message sent by Alice that is intended for Bob.
Late Latin Ēva, Hēva, from Hebrew ḥawwâ, living, life, from ḥāyâ, to live; see ḥyw in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek Εὔα (Εua), from Classical Hebrew חַוָּה (ḥawwah). (Wiktionary)
A pun on eavesdropper. (Wiktionary)