from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The foundation upon which the ties, rails, and ballast of a railroad are laid.
- n. A layer of ballast directly under the ties.
- n. The foundation and surface of a road.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The prepared location for a road, including its foundation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In railroads, the bed or foundation on which the superstructure (ties, rails, etc.) rests; in common roads, the whole material laid in place and ready for travel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The bed or foundation on which the superstructure of a railway rests.
- n. The whole material laid in place and ready for traffic in ordinary roads.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bed supporting a road
road + bed (Wiktionary)