from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A highway or section of a highway that passes around an obstructed or congested area.
- n. A pipe or channel used to conduct gas or liquid around another pipe or a fixture.
- n. A means of circumvention.
- n. Electricity See shunt.
- n. Medicine An alternative passage created surgically to divert the flow of blood or other bodily fluid or circumvent an obstructed or diseased organ.
- n. Medicine A surgical procedure to create such a channel: a coronary artery bypass; a gastric bypass.
- transitive v. To avoid (an obstacle) by using an alternative channel, passage, or route.
- transitive v. To be heedless of; ignore: bypassed standard office procedures.
- transitive v. To channel (piped liquid, for example) through a bypass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a road that passes around something, such as a residential area
- n. a circumvention
- n. a section of pipe that conducts a fluid around some other fixture
- n. an electrical shunt
- n. an alternative passage created to divert a bodily fluid around a damaged organ; the surgical procedure to construct such a bypass
- v. to avoid an obstacle etc, by constructing or using a bypass
- v. to ignore the usual channels or procedures
by- + pass (Wiktionary)