American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, like, or in an artery or arteries.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being the blood in the arteries that has absorbed oxygen in the lungs and is bright red.
- adj. Being a main road or channel with many branches: an arterial highway; an arterial route.
- n. A through road or street.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to an artery or to the arteries: as, arterial action.
- Contained in an artery: as, arterial blood.
- Having a main channel and many branches or ramifications, like the arteries: as, arterial drainage.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to an artery, or the arteries
- adj. Of or pertaining to a main channel (resembling an artery), as a river, canal, or railroad.
- adj. of or involving or contained in the arteries
“The ad says the drink leads to a "30% decrease in arterial plaque" and "17% improved blood flow.”
“The bus driver was speeding down a side street and ran full force across a main arterial, again against a light.”
“One can conclude from this and from many other analogous facts that, when appreciable capillary dilation occurs, it cannot be because of a simple rise in arterial blood pressure but must depend on change in condition of the capillary walls - a relaxation of their contractile elements.”
“Thus an increase in arterial pressure in the internal carotid stimulates a number of nerve terminals in the walls of the sinus and produces a reflex which is transmitted by the ninth pair of cranial nerves, the glossopharyngeal nerves, and reaches the territories of the vagus and vaso-motor nerves.”
“The second group as a main arterial road was somewhat more, but less than average, intersectional interference and the third could be classified as a more ordinary arterial road.”
“It is a technique he refers to as "arterial splatter": an ex-girlfriend's father coined the phrase.”
“In 1999, Lewitzky’s lower right leg was amputated due to long term arterial disease which had contributed to the end of her performing career in 1978.”
“The surgery, known as the arterial switch operation, is typically performed within a few days of birth.”
“In the study, which tracked children ages 3 to 18, arterial stiffness was determined by a test called arterial pulse wave velocity that was taken in adulthood, ages 30 to 45.”
“The cerebral arteries are derived from the internal carotid and vertebral, which at the base of the brain form a remarkable anastomosis known as the arterial circle of Willis.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arterial’.
Looking for tweets for arterial.