from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A side road. Also called byroad.
- n. A secondary or arcane field of study.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a road that is not frequently travelled
- n. an unpopular or arcane field of study
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A secluded, private, or obscure way; a path or road aside from the main one.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A by-road; a secluded, private, or obscure way; an out-of-the-way path or course: as, highways and byways.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a side road little traveled (as in the countryside)
Sorry, no etymologies found.