from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See byway.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A road less frequented than a highway; a byway.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A private or obscure road.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A side-road; a cross-road; a road different from the usual or main highway.
- n. A private or secret way; a private means to an end: as, “slippery by-roads,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a side road little traveled (as in the countryside)
From by- + road. (Wiktionary)