American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Related to, located in, or constituting an outer boundary or periphery.
- adj. Perceived or perceiving near the outer edges of the retina: peripheral vision.
- adj. Anatomy Of the surface or outer part of a body or organ; external.
- adj. Anatomy Of, relating to, or being part of the peripheral nervous system.
- adj. Of minor relevance or importance.
- adj. Auxiliary.
- n. Computer Science An auxiliary device, such as a printer, modem, or storage system, that works in conjunction with a computer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, belonging to, or situated on the periphery, circumference, or surface generally; characteristic of or constituting the periphery: as, peripheral parts; peripheral expansion.
- n. One of the outer bony plates of the carapace of a turtle: commonly termed marginal.
- adj. on the periphery or boundary
- adj. beside the point
- adj. unimportant
- adj. auxiliary
- adj. neuroanatomy a part of or located in the peripheral nervous system
- n. computing a device, such as a printer or scanner, connected to a computer
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a periphery; constituting a periphery; peripheric.
- adj. (Anat.) External; away from the center.
- n. (computer science) electronic equipment connected by cable to the CPU of a computer
- adj. related to the key issue but not of central importance
- adj. on or near an edge or constituting an outer boundary; the outer area
- From peripher-y + -al (Wiktionary)
“I suspect Martha had seen and/or felt these nodes on Bailey as they were enlarged, a condition we term peripheral lymphadenopathy.”
“You really know how to put the phun in peripheral parenteral nutrition.”
“The team also found that nerves of patients with certain peripheral nerve disorders had defective JAM-C.”
“Engineers from the University of Pennsylvania warn against an entirely new threat to computer security: bugs implanted in peripheral devices, such as keyboards or mice.”
“Similarly, blood clots can form in the arteries that supply the arms or legs; this condition is called peripheral artery disease.”
“Problems in arteries other than those supplying the heart and brain are known as peripheral arterial disease.”
“Runt disease or splenomegaly (one of its earlier symptoms) provides a test of the immunological competence of cells, and lends itself to exact studies of their immunological capabilities; perhaps the most important discovery that can be credited to it is of the presence of an immunologically competent cell in peripheral blood.”
“Long-term peripheral neuropathy can worsen and lead to an exacerbation of pain.”
“Microsoft kicked things off in a big way, showing off their new game "peripheral" -- Kinect”
“It serves to remind us that the western perspective - though not "peripheral" - gets a lot wrong and that the real killing fields were not in Normandy or even at Auschwitz, but in nameless horrors across central Europe - in Poland, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and the Ukraine, all abused this week by Putin.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘peripheral’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
Looking for tweets for peripheral.