from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, derived from, or consisting of cortex.
- adj. Of, relating to, associated with, or depending on the cerebral cortex.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the outer layer of an internal organ or body structure, such as the kidney or the brain.
- adj. Pertaining to the cortex of a stem or root—the tissue that lies inward from the epidermis, but exterior to the vascular tissue.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Belonging to, or consisting of, bark or rind; resembling bark or rind; external; outer; superficial.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to or consisting of bark or rind; resembling bark or rind; hence, external; belonging to the external covering: in anatomy, specifically applied to several enveloping or investing parts, in distinction from medullary: as, the cortical substance of the brain or kidney. See cortex.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a cortex
From Latin cortex ("bark"). (Wiktionary)