from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to or forming the wall of a body part, organ, or cavity.
- adj. Of or relating to either of the parietal bones.
- adj. Botany Borne on the inside of the ovary wall. Used of the ovules or placentas in flowering plants.
- adj. Dwelling within or having authority within the walls or buildings of a college.
- n. A parietal part, such as a wall or bone.
- n. The rules governing the visiting privileges of members of the opposite sex in college or university dormitories.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the wall of a body part, organ or cavity.
- adj. Of or relating to the parietal bones
- adj. Of or relating to college living and, especially, its regulation.
- n. Either of the two parietal bones, on the top and side of the skull.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a wall; hence, pertaining to buildings or the care of them.
- adj. Resident within the walls or buildings of a college.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the parietes.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or in the region of, the parietal bones, which form the upper and middle part of the cranium, between the frontals and occipitals.
- adj. Attached to the main wall of the ovary, and not to the axis; -- said of a placenta.
- n. One of the parietal bones.
- n. One of the special scales, or plates, covering the back of the head in certain reptiles and fishes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to a wall.
- Pertaining to buildings or the care of them; resident within the walls or buildings of a university or college, or having charge over the buildings and the conduct of the students, etc., of a university or college.
- In anatomy and zoology, specifically, pertaining to the walls of a cavity of the body, in distinction from its contents: opposed to visceral: as, parietal and visceral reflections of the peritoneum.
- In botany, pertaining to or arising from a wall: usually applied to ovules when they proceed from or are borne on the walls or sides of the ovary.
- Superior, the superior parietal lobule.
- Ascending, the posterior central convolution; the convolution lying immediately back of the fissure of Rolando. See cut under cerebral.
- In herpetology, an unossified space in the roof of the skull of some reptiles, especially in Lacertilia, along the sagittal or coronal suture.
- Superior, that convolution of the parietal lobe which lies above the intraparietal sulcus and behind the upper part of the posterior central convolution.
- n. In anatomy, one of a pair of bones of the cranium, right and left, developed in membrane, forming a part of the top and sides of the brain-box, between the occipital and the frontal bone.
- n. Specifically, in fishes, a superior lateral bone of the cranium. In some forms it articulates with its fellow of the opposite side in front of the supraoccipital; in others it lies on one side of the latter bone remote from its fellow. Posteriorly it overlies the epiotic; at its outer edge it articulates with the pterotic.
- n. Same as parietal shield.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or associated with the parietal bones in the cranium
Middle English, from Late Latin parietālis, of a wall, from Latin pariēs, pariet-, wall.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin parietālis, from pariēs ("wall"). (Wiktionary)