from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of the prominent, rounded, elevated convolutions on the surfaces of the cerebral hemispheres.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ridge or fold on the cerebral cortex.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A convoluted ridge between grooves; a convolution. See brain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, one of the rounded ridges into which the surface of the cerebral hemisphere is divided by the fissures or sulci; a convolution; a gyre.
- n. The gyrus which arches over the extremity of the fissure of Sylvius. See sulcus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a convex fold or elevation in the surface of the brain
Latin gȳrus, circle; see gyre.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin gȳrus ("circle"), from Ancient Greek γῦρος (guros) (Wiktionary)