from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a jaw or jawbone, especially the upper one.
- n. A maxillary bone; a jawbone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the jaw or jawbone
- n. The jawbone
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining in any way to a jaw or jaw-bone; specifically, of or pertaining to the maxilla alone, in any of the special senses of that word: as, the maxillary bones of a vertebrate; the maxillary palps of an insect.
- n. A jawbone; a maxillary bone, or maxilla.
- n. The posterior of the two bones which border the upper jaw in osseous fishes. It usually bears teeth in the soft-rayed fishes, but in the spiny-rayed fishes the teeth are confined to the prem axillary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the upper jaw
- n. the jaw in vertebrates that is fused to the cranium
Latin maxillaris, from maxilla jawbone, jaw. (Wiktionary)