from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Located or occurring between the ribs.
- n. A space, muscle, or part situated between the ribs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Between the ribs of an animal or person.
- adj. Between the ribs of a boat.
- n. The intercostal muscles.
- n. Something that is between the ribs of an animal.
- n. Hull reinforcing inserted between frames or bulkheads of a boat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Between the ribs; pertaining to, or produced by, the parts between the ribs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated or intervening between successive ribs of the same side of the body: as, intercostal muscles, vessels, spaces.
- n. An intercostal structure, as an artery, and especially a muscle; an intercostalis.
- In iron ship-building, noting a structural member composed of a number of short pieces fitted in the spaces between a series of other continuous structural members which it crosses: as, an intercostal floorplate, one in which the floor is in short pieces between the longitudinals; an intercostal keelson, intercostal longitudinal, one in short pieces between the frames; an intercostal angle-bar, intercostal seam-strap, one in short pieces between frames or deck-beams, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. muscles between the ribs; they contract during inspiration
- adj. located or occurring between the ribs
New Latin intercostālis : inter- + Latin costa, rib; see kost- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)