American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The pituitary gland.
- n. Medicine An extract from the anterior or posterior lobes of the pituitary gland, prepared for therapeutic use.
- adj. Of or relating to the pituitary gland.
- adj. Of or secreting phlegm or mucus; mucous.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Mucous; secreting or containing mucus, or supposed to do so; relating to pituita.
- adj. anatomy Of or relating to the pituitary gland.
- n. anatomy The pituitary gland.
- n. anatomy The pituitary gland together with the pituitary stalk.
- n. medicine An extract from the pituitary gland.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Secreting mucus or phlegm.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the pituitary body.
- adj. of or relating to the pituitary gland
- n. the master gland of the endocrine system; located at the base of the brain
- From Latin pītuītārius, of phlegm (from the early belief that it produced mucus), from pītuīta, phlegm; see peiə- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The pituitary is a very important regulator of the homeostatic function of the liver.”
“A protein hormone called pituitary gland and increases the bodies production of hormones from the hormones reduce inflammation in injuries.”
“It's actually produced at the base of the brain by something known as the pituitary gland.”
“But one of the most common causes of infertility is anovulation, which means the hormones that are secreted by the pituitary are a little bit out of, you know, balance.”
“As the child nears puberty, a gland in the brain called the pituitary gland increases the secretion of a hormone called follicle-stimulating hormone FSH.”
“Puberty begins when a part of the brain called the hypothalamus tells a tiny gland called the pituitary to send a wake-up call to the sleeping sex organs, the testes and ovaries, to boot up and start production.”
“Therefore, the pituitary is an integral part of both mind and body.”
“The pituitary, which is approximately the size of a pea, is located near the middle of the brain, with the other limbic structures.”
“This striking force is carried to the pituitary, which is only millimeters away from the upper palate.”
“The pituitary, which is the master regulator of the endocrine system, then secreted its vital hormones into the bloodstream, and these in turn stimulated the suprarenal glands to secrete their hormones, which include cortisone.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pituitary’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
abducens.....draw..., ablation.....carr..., acetylcholine......., adrenalin.....nea..., afferent.....to c..., agnosia.....no kn..., alar.....wing-like, alexia.....no words, alveus.....canal, amacrine.....no l..., ambidextrous........, ambiguus.....doub... and 701 more...
ruptured blood ve..., clot, pressure on a blo..., tumor, brain region, comprehension of ..., production of mea..., autonomic nervous..., conservation of t..., catecholamine, arousal, regulation of sleep and 564 more...
Looking for tweets for pituitary.