from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a cell.
- adj. Consisting of or containing a cell or cells: the cellular construction of a beehive; the cellular nature of plant and animal tissue.
- adj. Of or involving the cells of an organization or movement: "The assessment of opposition to any totalitarian regime . . . is notoriously difficult, for any effective movement must be secretive and cellular” ( Anthony Sampson).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, consisting of, or resembling a cell or cells.
- n. A cellular phone (mobile phone).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of, or containing, cells; of or pertaining to a cell or cells.
- adj. porous; containing cavities.
- adj. pertaining to or using a system of transmission of telephone signals by radio, in which areas are divided into geographical parts (cells), each of which is served by a transmitter whose range is limited to that region, thus permitting a single transmission frequency to be used simulataneously in different parts of the same area. Cellular telephones are typically small and battery powered, allowing a subscriber with such a telephone to carry the telephone in a pocket or purse, over the entire area served, and to be contacted by a single telephone number. The system became widespread and popular in the 1980's and 1990's.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of, containing, or resembling cells; pertaining to a cell or to cells: as, cellular structure; a cellular appearance.
- n. In botany, a plant having no spiral vessels.
- Filled with cavities, as pumice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to cells
- adj. characterized by or divided into or containing cells or compartments (the smallest organizational or structural unit of an organism or organization)
From Latin cellula, cellule; see cellule.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)