from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or affecting the skin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, relating to, existing on, or affecting the exterior skin; especially the cutis
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the skin; existing on, or affecting, the skin; ; a cutaneous infection.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the skin; of the nature of or resembling skin; tegumentary: as, a cutaneous envelop.
- Affecting the skin: as, a cutaneous eruption; a cutaneous disease.
- Attached to, acting upon, or situated immediately below the skin; subcutaneous: as, a cutaneous muscle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or existing on or affecting the skin
From New Latin cutāneus, back-formation from Late Latin intercutāneus and subcutāneus, both subcutaneous, both from Latin cutis, skin; see (s)keu- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From New Latin *cutaneus, from Latin cutis ("skin") (Wiktionary)