from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Biology Having a hard shell or shell-like outer covering: testaceous echinoderms.
- adj. Biology Composed of a shell or shell-like material: a testaceous operculum.
- adj. Having the reddish-brown or brownish-yellow hue of bricks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to earthenware or baked clay.
- adj. Of a reddish-yellow or brownish colour, like brick.
- adj. Having a shell, especially one which is not articulated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to shells; consisted of a hard shell, or having a hard shell.
- adj. Having a dull red brick color or a brownish yellow color.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to shells, or testacean animals, as shell-fish; testacean.
- Consisting of a hard continuous shell or shelly substance; shelly: thus, an oyster-shell is testaceous.
- Having a hard shell, as oysters, clams, and snails: distinguished from crustaceous, or soft-shelled, as a lobster or crab.
- Derived or prepared from shells of mollusks or crustaceans: as, a testaceous medicine; a pearl is of testaceous origin.
- In botany and zoology, dull-red brick-color; brownish-yellow, or orange-yellow with much gray.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or possessing a testa or hard shell
From Latin testāceus, from testa, shell.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin testaceus. (Wiktionary)