from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Located or placed just beneath the skin: subcutaneous tissue; a subcutaneous implant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the fatty layer under the skin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Situated under the skin; hypodermic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated beneath the skin, in general; subdermal; lying in the true skin or cutis, under the cuticle; subcuticular; placed or performed under the skin; hypodermic: as, a subcutaneous injection.
- Fitted for use under the skin; hypodermic: as, a subcutaneous syringe; a subcutaneous saw.
- Living under the skin; burrowing in the skin: as, a subcutaneous parasitic insect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or located below the epidermis
From Latin subcutāneus, from sub- + cutis ("skin") + adjectival suffix -āneus. (Wiktionary)