from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, characterized by, or caused by an allergy: an allergic reaction to airborne pollen.
- adj. Having an allergy: allergic children; highly allergic to penicillin.
- adj. Informal Having a dislike; averse: allergic to work.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to allergy.
- adj. Having an allergy.
- adj. Excessively sensitive; susceptible.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. of or pertaining to allergy.
- adj. having an allergy or peculiar or excessive susceptibilty especially to a specific factor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by or caused by allergy
- adj. having an allergy or peculiar or excessive susceptibility (especially to a specific factor)
Their droppings trigger allergy reactions in allergic children.
Bierman CW, Shapiro GG, Pierson WE, et al. Safety of influenza vaccination in allergic children.
Release of leukotrienes in allergic and inflammatory conditions is probably responsible for the symptoms which characterize these diseases.
I had suffered from bronchial asthma as a child and had developed a deep curiosity in allergic phenomena.
SAUDI ARABIA's response to the Arab spring might be described as allergic.
The day finished with Tao of Tea’s Peppermint, because I remain allergic to food.
However, the food-challenge test was quite strict — the children needed to show two or more symptoms from a specific list to be classified as allergic after eating peanuts.
Many of those suffering from the seasonal effects of what is known as allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, use a variety of prescription and over-the-counter medicines to treat the symptoms of allergies.
About 15 to 20 percent of Americans have allergic reactions to airborne substances which trigger the classic condition known as allergic rhinitis.
However, the food-challenge test was quite strict—the children needed to show two or more symptoms from a specific list to be classified as allergic after eating peanuts.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.