from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of phthisis.
- n. Archaic Any illness of the lungs or throat, such as asthma or a cough.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wasting illness of the lungs, such as asthma or tuberculosis; phthisis.
- n. Any wasting disease.
- n. A person suffering from phthisis.
- n. Any wasting or shrinking of another body part such as, for example, the eye (phthisis bulbi).
- adj. Of or relating to phthisis or tuberculosis; tubercular.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as phthisis.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as phthisical.
- n. A consumption or wasting away; phthisis.
- n. A person affected with phthisis.
Middle English ptisike, from Old French ptisique, from phthisicus, consumptive, from Greek phthisikos, from phthisis, wasting away, consumption; see phthisis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English tisike, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin phthisicus ("suffering from tuberculosis"), from Ancient Greek φθισικός (phthisikos, "consumptive"), from φθίσις (phthisis, "tuberculosis, consumption") (Wiktionary)