American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Variant of phthisis.
- n. Archaic Any illness of the lungs or throat, such as asthma or a cough.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as phthisical.
- n. A consumption or wasting away; phthisis.
- n. A person affected with phthisis.
- n. pathology A wasting illness of the lungs, such as asthma or tuberculosis; phthisis.
- n. pathology, formerly Any wasting disease.
- n. A person suffering from phthisis.
- n. Any wasting or shrinking of another body part such as, for example, the eye (phthisis bulbi).
- adj. Of or relating to phthisis or tuberculosis; tubercular.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Same as phthisis.
- From Middle English tisike, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin phthisicus ("suffering from tuberculosis"), from Ancient Greek φθισικός (phthisikos, "consumptive"), from φθίσις (phthisis, "tuberculosis, consumption") (Wiktionary)
- Middle English ptisike, from Old French ptisique, from phthisicus, consumptive, from Greek phthisikos, from phthisis, wasting away, consumption; see phthisis. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
““From a great distance, with a tranquilizer dart,” said Hillovi, with a stoned wink and a laugh that sounded more like the barking of a phthisic sea lion.”
“On the one hand it was denounced as an epicurean and obnoxious toy from England, designed to corrupt the democratic simplicity of the Republic, and on the other hand it was attacked by the medical faculty as dangerous to health and a certain inviter of “phthisic, rheumatic fevers, inflammation of the lungs and the whole category of zymotic diseases.””
“He wavered along on a stick, planted before him with a blue phthisic hand.”
“I shall present myself at your house in Rouen whose address I had from M. Bouilhet who knows me well having come to see me in his youth he will tell you that I have the phthisic still agreeably and always faithful to all who knew me whether in the civil or in the military and in these sentiments for life your affectionate”
“S-ure has been calling him "Yankee pig" all day now, a hilarious joke he will not leave alone, often getting no further than "Yank -" before collapsing into some horrible twanging phthisic wheeze of a laugh, coughing up alarming ropy lungers of many colors and marbling effects-green, for example, old-statue green at leafy dusk.”
“It should not be understood, however, that the _quantity_ of moisture precipitated in any given district determines of itself the prevalence or non-prevalence of phthisic complaints; not at all, for we see in”
“And we shall be rid of phthisis and phthisic and pneumonia and pneumatics, and diphtheria and pterodactyl, and all those other insane words which no man addicted to the simple Christian life can try to spell and not lose some of the bloom of his piety in the demoralizing attempt.”
“When her brother Simeon was took bad with phthisic, "wheezin 'like a busted bellerses" and 'twas "up and down, trot, trot, trot," to fetch and carry for him day in and night out, did the folks from the”
“I told her I couldn't clean up much 'count of the rheumatism, an' phthisic, an 'these here dizzy spells --”
“Then Dilsie could sleep in the cabin, as she ought to on account of the jimsonweed in her phthisic pipe.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘phthisic’.
Herein are listed words with oddball spellings and words whose pronunciation does not reflect the spelling.
Words I keep looking up and still keep forgetting the definition of
Words with that sequence of letters
Well everyone's lists are favourites or pets or useful terms, no? These are mine.
The Last Good Words Left
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Choice words from Adair's translation of La Disparition
they look odd to me, at any rate
Cadged across years of reading, and now, I can't help but use them, inspite of the fact that some of my favorites may only have occurred once in 10,000 books
Looking for tweets for phthisic.