from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To change for the better; improve: amended the earlier proposal so as to make it more comprehensive.
- transitive v. To remove the faults or errors in; correct. See Synonyms at correct.
- transitive v. To alter (a legislative measure, for example) formally by adding, deleting, or rephrasing.
- transitive v. To enrich (soil), especially by mixing in organic matter or sand.
- intransitive v. To better one's conduct; reform.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make better.
- v. To become better.
- v. To heal (someone sick); to cure (a disease etc.).
- v. To make a formal alteration in legislation by adding, deleting, or rephrasing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To grow better by rectifying something wrong in manners or morals; to improve.
- transitive v. To change or modify in any way for the better.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To free from faults; make better, or more correct or proper; change for the better; correct; improve; reform.
- To make a change or changes in the form of, as a bill or motion, or a constitution; properly, to improve in expression or detail, but by usage to alter either in construction, purport, or principle.
- To repair; mend.
- 4. To heal or recover (the sick); cure (a disease).
- To grow or become better by reformation, or by rectifying something wrong in manners or morals.
- To become better (in health); recover from illness.
- n. Compensation: generally used in the plural. See amends.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. to make better
- v. set straight or right
- v. make amendments to
Care should be exercised in wording the sections providing for amending the constitution, etc., to avoid such tautology as amend, or add to, or repeal, or alter or amend, or amend or in any way change.
Let the reform begin .... amend, fix, add to, subtract from, but let the reform of health care begin.
_ -- The legitimate use of a motion to amend is to correct or improve the original motion or resolution; but a motion properly before an assembly may be altered in _any_ way; even so as to turn it entirely from its original purpose, unless some rule or law shall exist to prevent this subversion.
How To Behave: A Pocket Manual Of Republican Etiquette, And Guide To Correct Personal Habits Embracing An Exposition Of The Principles Of Good Manners; Useful Hints On The Care Of The Person, Eating, Drinking, Exercise, Habits, Dress, Self-Culture, And Behavior At Home; The Etiquette Of Salutations, Introductions, Receptions, Visits, Dinners, Evening Parties, Conversation, Letters, Presents, Weddings, Funerals, The Street, The Church, Places Of Amusement, Traveling, Etc., With Illustrative Anecdotes, a Chapter on Love and Courtship, and Rules of Order for Debating Societies
God at all, -- he pledges himself to give up his bad habits; to repent and amend, which is just what he has no mind to do.
With new 100 words in the dictionary peek and phrase amend features, a archetypal planner can treat maintained.
His own party had to twist his arm to get a meaningless executive order signed to "amend" the law; which it doesn't.
In an interview the day after your rally you said that you would like to "amend" your statement in which you accused President Obama of being a racist and said he had a deep hatred in his heart for white people.
After all, they haven't seized the power to unilaterally "amend" the Constitution without state approval, only to let it go without a fight.
Most of the state constitutions in question are relatively easy to amend which is one of the reasons why gay marriage opponents were able to push through their own amendments so quickly after 2003.
Although California voters can "amend" the constitution through a ballot measure alone, a "revision" must receive a two-thirds vote of the Legislature before being put before the voters.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.