American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make plump or fat.
- v. To fertilize (land).
- v. To increase the amount or substance of: fatten one's bank account.
- v. To grow fat or fatter.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make fat; feed for slaughter; make fleshy or plump with fat.
- To enrich; make fertile and fruitful.
- To grow fat or corpulent; grow plump, thick, or fleshy.
- In poker, to add chips to (a jack-pot which was not opened on the previous deal).
- In skat, to discard valuable cards on (a partner's tricks).
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make fat; to feed for slaughter; to make fleshy or plump with fat; to fill full; to fat.
- v. To make fertile and fruitful; to enrich
- v. To grow fat or corpulent; to grow plump, thick, or fleshy; to be pampered.
- v. make fat or plump
- fat + -en (Wiktionary)
“Since you're trying to "fatten" her up a little, I hope you don't benefit from the same.”
“Insurance firms also fatten their bottom lines by denying more claims.”
“The last 20% just says 'give private companies more money and fatten them up with profits while taking all regulations off so that they can abuse customers more.”
“How can you have an effective health care system based on denying care as much as possible to fatten a company's bottom line?!? matt”
“He was feeding fish to crabs to fatten them and getting a good economic return from selling the crabs.”
“The assumption is made that only executives and share holders are seeking to fatten their wallets.”
“Executives and stockholders who rely on large profits to fatten their own wallets cannot admit this of course.”
“Extreme paternalism is a parasite sucking on a dry host, it will tend to allow some capitalism to fatten up its victim.”
“Though the idol seems to be at home in God's laughter lately, which is a lonely, single laughter that has withered a little, a tiny, dear laugh out of the side of the mouth — still, fatten the raven away to the zero, zero, dear God, and send him out oblivion's other side.”
“It's perfectly okay not only to fatten up monkeys and produce diseases that result in suffering and death, but also to starve, blind, and socially deprive them and millions of other animals, among other forms of use and abuse.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fatten’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Verbs constructed with the -en suffix.
Looking for tweets for fatten.