from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make greater, as in value, beauty, or effectiveness; augment.
- transitive v. To provide with improved, advanced, or sophisticated features: computer software enhanced with cutting-edge functionalities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To lift, raise up.
- v. To augment or make something greater.
- v. To improve something by adding features.
- v. To be raised up; to grow larger.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To be raised up; to grow larger.
- transitive v. To raise or lift up; to exalt.
- transitive v. To advance; to augment; to increase; to heighten; to make more costly or attractive; ; hence, also, to render more heinous; to aggravate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To raise up; lift up; elevate.
- To raise to a higher degree; increase to a higher point; carry upward or to a greater extent; heighten; make greater: as, to enhance prices, or one's reputation or dignity; to enhance misery or sorrow.
- Synonyms To swell, augment, aggravate.
- To be raised; swell; grow larger: as, a debt enhances rapidly by compound interest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make better or more attractive
- v. increase
For paint and appliance makers, the labels enhance their green bona fides and perhaps even boost sales. —
For paint and appliance makers, the labels enhance their green bona fides and perhaps even boost sales.
The strategy works best in a sideways to slightly uptrending market in which the premiums from selling the calls enhance total returns.
A rising of the value for life would in the long term enhance how we treat each other, and reduce the numbers of violent acts that we see, and IMO abortion as well.
The important question is, will such an approach over the long term enhance or diminish his status as a blogger?
LOTHIAN (voice-over): Standing in front of a copy of the Constitution, President Obama delivered a defense for his national security policies, from banning so-called enhance interrogations like water-boarding, to closing the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.
The launches of Extensions and Time to Call enhance our domestic and global service offerings for landline and mobile customers.
"It's a complete mystery but there's not much doubt that the two little letters after the name do enhance the allure of women and men when they get to this position," said Labour MP for Newport West, Paul Flynn.
She forgot to tell everyone not to eat them, they were only there to "enhance" the flavor.
Those in Beluga note that this project will surely not "enhance" the outdoor experience of anyone.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.