from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the range of invisible radiation wavelengths from about 4 nanometers, on the border of the x-ray region, to about 380 nanometers, just beyond the violet in the visible spectrum.
- n. Ultraviolet light or the ultraviolet part of the spectrum.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of electromagnetic radiation beyond (higher in frequency than) light visible to the human eye; radiation with wavelengths from 380 nanometre - 10 nanometre
- n. Ultraviolet colour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Lying outside the visible spectrum at its blue-violet end; -- said of light more refrangible (i. e. having a shorter wavelength) than the extreme violet rays of the visible spectrum. Electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths shorter than those of ultrviolet light are not usually considered as light waves, but are classified differently. The ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum is generally considered as comprising those electromagnetic emissions with wavelengths lying between those of visible light and those of X-rays, i. e. between 4000 Angstroms and 100 Angstroms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Beyond the violet: used of the invisible rays of the spectrum which are more refrangible than the violet, and consequently lie beyond them. See spectrum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or employing wavelengths shorter than light but longer than X-rays; lying outside the visible spectrum at its violet end
- n. radiation lying in the ultraviolet range; wave lengths shorter than light but longer than X rays
ultra- + violet (Wiktionary)