American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. With disapproval, suspicion, or distrust: "The area is so dirty that merchants report the tourists are looking askance” ( Chris Black).
- adv. With a sideways glance; obliquely.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sidewise; obliquely; out of the corner of the eye; askant.
- To turn aside, as the eyes.
- As if; as if (saying).
- adv. of a look or glance With disapproval, skepticism, or suspicion.
- adv. Sideways; obliquely.
- adj. Turned to the side, especially of the eyes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. Sideways; obliquely; with a side glance; with disdain, envy, or suspicion.
- v. poet. To turn aside.
- adv. with suspicion or disapproval
- adv. with a side or oblique glance
- adj. (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy
- Compare Dutch schuin, schuins, sideways, schuiven to shove, schuinte slope. Compare asquint. (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Compared to these inducements, the fact that people would look upon her askance was a very insignificant consideration.”
“Let me get a-- let me get a break and get Senator Warner to comment, because I noticed he -- he looked kind of askance at some of the things you were saying.”
“He pays £15 for a haircut and shave at the local barbers, looks askance at anything with a label that doesn't have Oxfam attached to it and, when asked where he got his jacket from, is proud to say "it was my grandfather's.”
“He quickly looked away, and then looked back again, as though that brief, askance glance had “cleared it.””
“Arsenio looks askance at his own Wikipedia article.”
“Hetty eyed him askance but clinked his glass all the same.”
“Men and dogs looked askance at Bâtard when he drifted into their camps and posts.”
“Analysts say investors could look askance at the wrong choice, particularly if the candidate is seen as close to the government, which in South Korea has often taken a strong role in the financial sector.”
“You describe Tea Partiers as looking askance at Boehner's long tenure in leadership, his close ties to lobbyists and his two-pack-a-day baritone and retro Rat Pack persona.”
“Traditional-media critics can look askance all they like at twittery chit-chat websites like All That Chat at Talkinbroadway.com, or at every theatre-related hashtag imaginable, but the fact is, blog posts can be longer and more substantive than many so-called reviews, and even the occasional tweet can be as informative as the scribblings of the reviewing gods.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘askance’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
A list of words unfamiliar to me that I have repeatedly encountered in GRE question sets.
My list of words.
Looking for tweets for askance.