from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Directed to one side; oblique.
- adj. Sloping; inclined.
- adv. Obliquely; sideways.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. directed toward one side
- adj. inclining, having an inclination
- adv. in a sidelong direction
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Sidelong; on the side; laterally; also, obliquely; askew.
- adj. Inclining to one side; directed toward one side; sloping; inclined.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sidewise; sidelong; aslant; laterally; obliquely.
- Inclined; sloping; having an oblique position or motion; sidelong; as, sideling ground; a sideling approach.
- n. The slope of a hill; a line of country whose cross-section is inclined or sloping.
From Middle English sidlyng (early 14th century), from side + -lyng ("(frequentive)") (modern English side + -ling (“(frequentive)”)). (Wiktionary)