from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Toward one side: took a step sideways; a sideways glance.
- adv. From one side: a painting lit sideways; sideways pressure.
- adv. With the side forward: turned sideways to show the profile; a sideways view.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Moving or directed toward one side.
- adj. Positioned sideways (with a side to the front).
- adj. Neither moving upward nor moving downward.
- adj. In conflict (with); not compatible (with).
- adv. With a side to the front.
- adv. Towards one side.
- adv. Askance; sidelong.
- adv. Neither upward nor downward.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Toward the side; sidewise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as sidewise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. to, toward or at one side
- adv. toward one side
- adv. from the side; obliquely
- adj. (of movement) at an angle
- adv. with one side forward or to the front
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This is what I described as the sideways S pattern.
I knew I had to see this. orange cinema remember when thomas hayden church had that career changing/saving turn in 'sideways'?
You've written a book about managing a portfolio in sideways markets.
The book walks readers through the fundamentals of investing in sideways markets, and I think it will help most investors do well in what will be an otherwise challenging environment.
They didn't have any understanding of those of us a little sideways from the norm when I was growing up in the 60s, but today I'd likely be diagnosed on the spectrum as well.
With a despairing gurgle Gus started, doing his best to work sideways from the plunge.
Merlo hurled himself sideways from the chair, rolling as he hit the floor.
(Also, twisting the wrist to hold the gun out sideways is not comfortable).
Go in sideways pull the rug and then deal with them.
There are plenty of people who see the world backwards, and some who see it clearly, but seeing the world sideways is the most fun.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.