American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. Toward one side: took a step sideways; a sideways glance.
- adv. From one side: a painting lit sideways; sideways pressure.
- adv. With the side forward: turned sideways to show the profile; a sideways view.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as sidewise.
- adj. Moving or directed toward one side.
- adj. informal Positioned sideways (with a side to the front).
- adj. informal Neither moving upward nor moving downward.
- adj. usually with "with", informal In conflict (with); not compatible (with).
- adv. With a side to the front.
- adv. Towards one side.
- adv. Askance; sidelong.
- adv. informal Neither upward nor downward.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. Toward the side; sidewise.
- adv. to, toward or at one side
- adv. toward one side
- adv. from the side; obliquely.
- adj. (of movement) at an angle
- adv. with one side forward or to the front
“This is what I described as the sideways S pattern.”
“I knew I had to see this. orange cinema remember when thomas hayden church had that career changing/saving turn in 'sideways'?”
“You've written a book about managing a portfolio in sideways markets.”
“The book walks readers through the fundamentals of investing in sideways markets, and I think it will help most investors do well in what will be an otherwise challenging environment.”
“They didn't have any understanding of those of us a little sideways from the norm when I was growing up in the 60s, but today I'd likely be diagnosed on the spectrum as well.”
“With a despairing gurgle Gus started, doing his best to work sideways from the plunge.”
“Merlo hurled himself sideways from the chair, rolling as he hit the floor.”
“(Also, twisting the wrist to hold the gun out sideways is not comfortable).”
“Go in sideways pull the rug and then deal with them.”
“There are plenty of people who see the world backwards, and some who see it clearly, but seeing the world sideways is the most fun.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sideways’.
Unabashedly stolen from a comment made by courier12.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words that have been smashed together.
There's a jar I've been adding movie ticket stubs to since about age twelve. I am pleased to have a more accessible way of keeping track of the movies I've seen. Even if some are pretty embarrassin...
just the next words that come along
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for sideways.