from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Toward one side: took a step sideways; a sideways glance.
- adv. From one side: a painting lit sideways; sideways pressure.
- adv. With the side forward: turned sideways to show the profile; a sideways view.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Moving or directed toward one side.
- adj. Positioned sideways (with a side to the front).
- adj. Neither moving upward nor moving downward.
- adj. In conflict (with); not compatible (with).
- adv. With a side to the front.
- adv. Towards one side.
- adv. Askance; sidelong.
- adv. Neither upward nor downward.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Toward the side; sidewise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as sidewise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. to, toward or at one side
- adv. toward one side
- adv. from the side; obliquely
- adj. (of movement) at an angle
- adv. with one side forward or to the front
Sorry, no etymologies found.