American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. So as to be or lie in a cross direction; across: placed the kindling crosswise to the rest of the wood.
- adj. Crossing: a crosswise piece.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In the form of cross.
- Across; transversely: absolutely or followed by to before an object: as, the timbers were laid crosswise; the woof runs crosswise to the warp.
- Figuratively, contrary to desire; at cross-purposes; against the grain: as, everything goes crosswise to-day. In last two senses also crossways.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. In the form of cross; across; transversely.
- adj. in the shape of (a horizontal piece on) a cross
- adj. lying or extending across the length of a thing or in a cross direction
- adv. transversely.
- adv. not in the intended manner
- cross + -wise (Wiktionary)
“He held his sword crosswise in those hands, and the men behind him took the signal.”
“Upon arriving at the other edge of the vat, the curd is then cut crosswise, that is, at right angles to the previous cutting direction.”
“In the first place it is to be observed that they can be counted either upwards, or downwards, or crosswise, that is to say, collaterally.”
“If you see a pin crosswise, that is, across your path, it means a ride if you pick it up.”
“In general, you can expect the wefts in the fabric-that is, the crosswise yarns of the weave-to split at the site of the impact.”
“And to cut something "crosswise" is to cut it across its circumference.”
“Meaning, do not make the second cut "crosswise" (like I did).”
“Then, to roll the eye round and round, there are two little muscles, one above and one below, which run "crosswise" of the orbit, called the upper and lower _oblique_ muscles.”
“This is all because I stepped on some toes and got crosswise with some high-ranking officials," he said.”
“With a sharp knife, slice each scallop crosswise into 4 rounds, ¼ inch thick.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘crosswise’.
Words that end in -wise.
words and phrases containing cross
just the next words that come along
Looking for tweets for crosswise.