American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. Sideways.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Toward one side; in an inclining position: as, to hold the head sidewise.
- Laterally; on one side: as, the refraction of light sidewise. Also
- Directed or tending to one side; lateral in course or bearing; sideling: as, a sidewise glance; to make a sidewise leap.
- adv. sideways
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. Slang. A heavy swinging blow from the side, which disables an adversary. On or toward one side; laterally; sideways.
- adv. with one side forward or to the front
- adv. toward one side
- adv. from the side; obliquely.
- side + -wise (Wiktionary)
“For in that instant the she-wolf leaped sidewise from the trail into the clump of spruce trees and disappeared.”
“The man, half-slipping sidewise from the saddle, so as to fall clear if the mare toppled backward, threw his weight to the front and alongside her neck.”
“Bink stooped low and swung the flat of his sword sidewise, sweeping dozens of thumbnail-sized cats into the lake.”
“Mrs.C. translated, and I put in a French phrase sidewise every now and then.”
“In winter hurricane winds, loose snow loops sidewise in a grinding haze and the whole sky rolls like the ocean, hurling birds like rocks.”
“I stumble into and around poetry, frequently knocked sidewise.”
“He gave me a sharp sidewise look, a skeptical who-are-you kind of look, and I braced myself for the inevitable question.”
“You sidewise reference to Behe there perpetuates a misconstrual of his testimony in Dover, by the way.”
“She brushed her nose with her paws, trying to dislodge the fiery darts, thrust it into the snow, and rubbed it against twigs and branches, and all the time leaping about, ahead, sidewise, up and down, in a frenzy of pain and fright.”
“And there was no human ... only a small cockatoo that twisted his head impudently and sidewise at him and repeated, "Cocky.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sidewise’.
Words that end in -wise.
Looking for tweets for sidewise.