from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. With a sidelong glance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Looking sideways, as though warily.
- adv. In a manner with narrowed eyes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. With the eye directed to one side; not in the straight line of vision; obliquely; awry, so as to see distortedly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To or out at the corner or angle of the eye; obliquely; toward one side; not in the straight line of vision; askance; furtively.
- In the condition of squinting; oblique.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (used especially of glances) directed to one side with or as if with doubt or suspicion or envy
Middle English : a-, on; see a-2 + -squint; akin to skwyn (in of skwyn, obliquely).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)