from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make or become better; improve. See Synonyms at improve.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make better, to improve; to heal; to solve a problem.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make better; to improve; to meliorate.
- intransitive v. To grow better; to meliorate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make better, or more tolerable, satisfactory, prosperous, etc.; improve; meliorate.
- Synonyms Amend, Improve, Better, etc. See amend.
- To grow better; meliorate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. to make better
- v. get better
Alteration of meliorate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Influenced by French améliorer and Latin a- ("to") + melior ("better"). (Wiktionary)