from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not isotropic.
- adj. Physics Having properties that differ according to the direction of measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having properties that differ according to the direction of measurement; exhibiting anisotropy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not having the same properties in all directions; not isotropic; æolotropic. All crystals except those of the isometric system are anisotropic with respect to light.
- In botany, a term applied by Sachs to organs which respond differently or unequally to external influences.
- Equivalent forms are anisotropal, anisotrope, and anisotropous.
- Having predetermined axes: opposed to isotropic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not invariant with respect to direction
aniso- + -tropic (Wiktionary)