American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not isotropic.
- adj. Physics Having properties that differ according to the direction of measurement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not having the same properties in all directions; not isotropic; æolotropic. All crystals except those of the isometric system are anisotropic with respect to light.
- In botany, a term applied by Sachs to organs which respond differently or unequally to external influences.
- Equivalent forms are anisotropal, anisotrope, and anisotropous.
- Having predetermined axes: opposed to isotropic.
- adj. physics Having properties that differ according to the direction of measurement; exhibiting anisotropy.
- adj. not invariant with respect to direction
- aniso- + -tropic (Wiktionary)
“I much prefer the marathon tweaking session of control configurations, mouse sensitivity, screen resolution, and deeply geeky moving of horizontal sliders for mad, mad things like “anti-aliasing” and “anisotropic filtering” that provide me with the unnecessary level of control I so crave.”
“It varies enormously in anisotropic temperature, electron temperature and ion differences.”
“High water effects, full Bloom and Depth of Field, 50,000 particles, all settings at High or Very high detail, 4x anisotropic, you name it ... my god, I never imagined the game could be this wonderful.”
“October 23, 2009 at 10: 41: 59Permalink random anisotropic set theory in n_space”
“OpEdNews - Diary: random anisotropic set theory in n_space”
“This Patent is from the inventor Vijak K. Chandhok, "Method for producing through extrusion an anisotropic magnet with high energy product", U.S.”
“If we make our read-head out of a ferromagnetic material instead of an ordinary metal, we find a stronger effect known as anisotropic magnetoresistance (AMR).”
“The universe around 500my after the big bang has anisotropic and inhomogeneous distributions which are amplified due to some Virial process where accumulated matter has a kinetic energy equal to half the potential and due to “friction.””
“Maybe even that inflation was anisotropic, as Lotty and Mark and I contemplated.”
“Bayesian analysis of sparse anisotropic universe models and application to the 5-yr WMAP data”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘anisotropic’.
List of minerals, elements, group names and geochemistry terms encountered in the science of mineralogy. I've chosen to avoid capital letters in most examples, though a great many mineral names hon...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Some days, there will be a word. That word is the word of the day. Other days shall remain wordless. That's just the way things go.
words in the nature of double spirals
Words found in medical texts.
Words I've recently learned.
Looking for tweets for anisotropic.