from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make or become thick or thicker: Thicken the sauce with cornstarch. The crowd thickened near the doorway.
- transitive v. To make or become more intense, intricate, or complex: The leader's departure thickens the problems. Our apprehension thickened.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make thicker (in the sense of wider).
- v. To make thicker (in the sense of more viscous)
- v. To become thicker (in the sense of wider).
- v. To become thicker (in the sense of more viscous).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make thick (in any sense of the word).
- transitive v. To render dense; to inspissate.
- transitive v. To make close; to fill up interstices in.
- transitive v. To strengthen; to confirm.
- transitive v. To make more frequent.
- intransitive v. To become thick.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To become thick or thicker.
- To become deeper or heavier; gain bulk.
- Of a liquid, to approach more nearly a state of solidity; gain firmer consistency; also, to become turbid or cloudy.
- To become dark or obscure; specifically, of the weather, etc., to become misty or foggy.
- To grow more intense, profound, animated, intricate, etc.; become complicated.
- To gain in number or frequency; hence, to crowd; throng.
- To become indistinct.
- To make thick or thicker.
- To increase in depth, or distance between opposite surfaces; hence, figuratively, to make stouter or more substantial; strengthen.
- Of liquids, to increase the consistency of; inspissate: as, to thicken gravy with flour; also, to render turbid or cloudy.
- To obscure with clouds or mist; befog.
- To make more numerous or frequent; redouble: as, to thicken blows.
- n. A spelling of thick 'un (which see, under thick, a.).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make viscous or dense
- v. make thick or thicker
- v. become thick or thicker
Sorry, no etymologies found.