American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To cause transformation of (a liquid or sol, for example) into or as if into a soft, semisolid, or solid mass.
- v. To become coagulated.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To curdle; congeal; clot; change from a fluid into a curd-like or thickened mass: as, to coagulate blood; rennet coagulates milk.
- To crystallize. Synonyms To thicken, clot, concrete.
- To curdle or become clotted; congeal or become congealed.
- To become crystallized.
- Coagulated; curdled; clotted.
- v. intransitive To become congealed; to convert from a liquid to a semisolid mass.
- v. transitive To cause to congeal.
- n. A mass formed by means of coagulation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Coagulated.
- v. To cause (a liquid) to change into a curdlike or semisolid state, not by evaporation but by some kind of chemical reaction; to curdle.
- v. To undergo coagulation.
- adj. transformed from a liquid into a soft semisolid or solid mass
- v. cause to change from a liquid to a solid or thickened state
- v. change from a liquid to a thickened or solid state
- From Latin coāgulō ("I curdle"), from coāgulum ("a means of curdling, rennet"), from cōgō ("bring together, gather, collect"), from co- ("together") + agō ("do, make, drive"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English coagulaten, from Latin coāgulāre, coāgulāt-, from coāgulum, coagulator; see coagulum. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“For tender, succulent results, egg dishes should be cooked only just to the temperature at which their proteins coagulate, which is always well below the boiling point, 212°F/100°C.”
“Particles that are much smaller than a micron in fact tend to "coagulate," i.e. cling together when they bump into one another, so sub-micron particles don't last long in the air.”
“I've read that oil in the ocean does coagulate in globules that are tough on the outside but the interiors are still wet with gooey oil and the globules when washed ashore spoil beaches just like an oil slick washing ashore.”
“Bev, did you re-coagulate the revert setting to the position of the geometric trade-off concurrent with the linear approach to the more telepathic scenarios shored up along the meter housing unit with the herpetic cable doctrine situated near, but not in-line with, the I-NOUNDERSTAND Y. O.U.123?”
“A procedure in which radio waves are used to seal (coagulate) the blood supply from umbilical arteries and veins to a non-viable, parasitic twin.”
“Children's Hospital is one of a handful of hospitals worldwide that performs fetoscopic laser ablation, a procedure to find and coagulate the interconnecting blood vessels of fetuses with TTTS.”
“The blood on the glass walls of the chamber flows to the floor to puddle while the pink mists of blood in the chamber slowly coagulate and drop to the floor, drawn by gravity.”
“The trick, according to food science god Harold McGee, is "heat the egg yolks enough to obtain the desired thickness, but not so much that the yolk proteins coagulate into little solid curds and the sauce separates".”
“And if you let the water get up to the boil then the temperature is 212 degrees, usually you want to cook protein-rich foods only to about 150, that's when they coagulate and form that solid superstructure that retains the moisture.”
“And getting my son to his preschool, and the 16,000 events that coagulate around the holiday time for him.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘coagulate’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Discombobulate-enkindled 'ulate' words.
Bring forth the cathartic illumination on malignant,maniacal,medical,menage a trios and more egotists stymie
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
List of most of the words I've learned
Lexicon I likez... in no order whatsoever.
"Words are very..."
The above was the original description for this list. Unfortunately, it doesn't convey much about the list contents.
I'm leaving you to draw your own conclusions abo...
Looking for tweets for coagulate.