American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To pass beyond the limits of: emotions that transcend understanding.
- v. To be greater than, as in intensity or power; surpass: love that transcends infatuation. See Synonyms at excel.
- v. To exist above and independent of (material experience or the universe): "One never can see the thing in itself, because the mind does not transcend phenomena” ( Hilaire Belloc).
- v. To be transcendent; excel.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To climb over or up; ascend; mount; reach or extend upward to.
- To pass over; go beyond; overpass; overstep.
- To surpass; outdo; excel; exceed.
- To cause to climb or pass; lift; elevate.
- Synonyms To overstep.
- To outstrip, outdo.
- To climb; mount; pass upward or onward.
- To be transcendent; excel.
- v. transitive to pass beyond the limits of something.
- v. transitive to surpass something in intensity or power; to excel.
- v. obsolete To climb; to mount.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To rise above; to surmount.
- v. To pass over; to go beyond; to exceed.
- v. To surpass; to outgo; to excel; to exceed.
- v. obsolete To climb; to mount.
- v. rare To be transcendent; to excel.
- v. be superior or better than some standard
- v. be greater in scope or size than some standard
- From Old French transcender, Latin transcendere ("to climb over, step over, surpass, transcend"), from trans ("over") + scandere ("to climb"); see scan; compare ascend, descend. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English transcenden, from Old French transcendre, from Latin trānscendere : trāns-, trans- + scandere, to climb; see skand- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“To transcend is to become transparent, clear, open.”
“We look forward to working with them as we transcend from the shuttle to our future exploration of space, and continue the important engineering and scientific discoveries aboard the International Space Station.”
“To transcend is to go beyond and penetrate the mundane into a deeper truth or trust.”
“RachelCreative: you are a creative force of nature, disability be darned, you transcend, that is what I have learned from you - transcend, be obsessed, go on, go further, continue, progress until the work is stacked up behind you and then continue some more.”
“For although I call myself a Catholic, my faith was formed and informed outside the church, and what I know and believe about God will always to use my inner Unitarian's favorite word transcend church teaching in some ways.”
“For although I call myself a Catholic, my faith was formed and informed outside the church, and what I know and believe about God will always to use my inner Unitarians favorite word transcend church teaching in some ways.”
“This makes the spoken word transcend the written word.”
“The transcendentalists, therefore, endeavored to transcend, that is, to pass beyond, the range of human sense and experience.”
“America's efforts to "transcend" race are still about America's efforts to forget the past entirely and of course to ignore anything happening right now that might require confronting reality. un ange vole? link memories”
“Examples include the "New Security Concept," promoted at the turn of this century which seeks to "transcend" existing American bilateral alliances in favour of new regional multilateral security cooperation with all Asian nations, and especially existing American security allies and partners.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘transcend’.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
Words and concepts of up. Literally or figuratively.
Words that build up, edify, educate, encourage, deepen understanding, increase knowledge, and make the world a richer, fuller, more colorful world.
These words function as gateways to new spaces that need to be explored.
for GRE ofcourse
There's nothing more to this list, really.
Cribbed from Transhumanist Terminology at aleph.se, which has definitions, and is itself based on the Lextropicon.
Concise words to sprinkle in my prose.
Looking for tweets for transcend.