American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To praise or commend (one) to another as being worthy or desirable; endorse: recommended him for the job; recommended a car instead of an SUV.
- v. To make (the possessor, as of an attribute) attractive or acceptable: Honesty recommends any person.
- v. To commit to the charge of another; entrust.
- v. To advise or counsel: She recommended that we be on time. See Synonyms at advise.
- v. To give advice or counsel: "recommended against signing an international agreement” ( Time).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To commend to another's notice; put in a favorable light before another; commend or give favorable representations of; bring under one's notice as likely to be of service.
- To make acceptable; attract favor to.
- To commit or intrust, as in prayer.
- To advise, as to an action, practice, measure, remedy, or the like; advise (that something be done).
- To give or commit in kindness.
- v. transitive To bestow commendation on; to represent favourably; to suggest, endorse or encourage as an appropriate choice.
- v. transitive To make acceptable; to attract favor to.
- v. transitive To advise, propose, counsel favorably
- v. transitive, archaic To commit, confide to another's care, confidence or acceptance, with favoring representations
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To commend to the favorable notice of another; to commit to another's care, confidence, or acceptance, with favoring representations; to put in a favorable light before any one; to bestow commendation on.
- v. To make acceptable; to attract favor to.
- v. To commit; to give in charge; to commend.
- v. push for something
- v. make attractive or acceptable
- v. express a good opinion of
- Middle English recomenden, from Medieval Latin recommendāre : Latin re-, re- + Latin commendāre, to entrust, commend; see commend. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Another one that I recommend is a film called Funny Games.”
“The dough can look a little dry, but what I'll recommend is that people add between 2 1/2-3 cups of oatmeal instead of the full-on three.”
“I didn't finish many and the only book that I finished this week that I'd recommend is Lisa Shearin's The Trouble With Demons, book 3 in her Raine Benares series.”
“One thing I would recommend is wait for the retrieves and get fetch, hold and drop down to a science.”
“Changing this so that patients are not priced out of doing what their doctors recommend is where the big bonus in health comes.”
“Taking that into account im sure you'll find what you are looking for especially if you just ask them directly "Me gustaria un mole picante" or something similar. another thing i would recommend is trying Agua de Xilacayote (not sure if its spelled right) pronounced Chi-Laa-Ca-Yoh-Te it's generally sweet because its made of a sweet pumpkin but very tastful.”
“And it would be very helpful if people had Internet access to do this, because what I'm going to recommend is listening to sites that have scripts included.”
“The gun I world recommend is Remington 700, (America's oldest Gunmaker).”
“The next step I would recommend is to read "Half the Sky" and hear the stories from women and girls about what's really going on, then blog or write about it like I am doing now.”
“What do you recommend is the best way to learn the basics?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘recommend’.
Some LinkedIn lingo and acronyms
Biology Students, Gladiators, Devil Dogs & Harry Potter
Words for Talking
( open list, randomness )
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Words I need to learn to spell
Looking for tweets for recommend.