from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To take in the meaning, nature, or importance of; grasp. See Synonyms at apprehend.
- transitive v. To take in as a part; include. See Synonyms at include.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To contain; to embrace; to include.
- transitive v. To take in or include by construction or implication; to comprise; to imply.
- transitive v. To take into the mind; to grasp with the understanding; to apprehend the meaning of; to understand.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To take in, include, or embrace within a certain scope; include.
- To include within limits of any kind; especially, to include in the constitution or nature.
- To include in meaning or in logical scope.
- To take into the mind; grasp by the understanding; possess or have in idea; understand the force, nature, or character of; conceive; know sufficiently for a given purpose; specifically, to understand in one of the higher degrees of completeness: as, to comprehend an allusion, a word, or a person.
- To take together; sum up.
- Synonyms To contain.
- Apprehend, Comprehend (see apprehend), discern, perceive, see, catch.
- To take hold; take root; take.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. get the meaning of something
- v. to become aware of through the senses
- v. include in scope; include as part of something broader; have as one's sphere or territory
And under no latitude of construction will the term comprehend consuls.
What these persons fail to comprehend is that the rules were written by God, and God does not allow any of these 4 tactics.
Of course, what nobody can comprehend, is how the IDF has managed to dehumanize the Palestinians to such extent that they can brutal kill women and children.
Our country, in case you are too stupid to comprehend, is being ruined by the policies of this administration.
What I cannot comprehend is how gullible people are.
What these people fail to comprehend is that the new administration is full of new, young blood.
A complicated process of protection broken down for the everyday user to better comprehend is a necessity as also is the ability of the software to safeguard our privacy.
What your [name calling deleted] mind cannot comprehend is that global warming, or climate change, does not mean that every day is always hotter than the last.
Is this all what you were able to comprehend from the article ..?
What they can't seem to comprehend is that it's not being done that way anymore, despite their repeated and adamant assertions to the contrary.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.