from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To form a circle around; surround. See Synonyms at surround.
- transitive v. To move or go around completely; make a circuit of.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To surround, form a circle around.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To form a circle about; to inclose within a circle or ring; to surround
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To form a circle round; inclose or surround circularly; embrace as in a ring or circle; gird: as, luminous rings encircle Saturn.
- To encompass; surround; environ: as, the army encircled the city.
- To move about in a circular direction; make the circuit of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. form a circle around
- v. bind with something round or circular
Sorry, no etymologies found.