from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To enclose in or as if in a shrine.
- transitive v. To cherish as sacred.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To enclose (a sacred relic etc.) in a shrine or chest.
- v. To preserve or cherish (something) as though in a shrine; to preserve or contain, especially with some reverence.
- v. To protect an idea, ideal, or philosophy within an official law or treaty
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To inclose in a shrine or chest; hence, to preserve or cherish as something sacred.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To inclose in or as in a shrine or chest; deposit for safe-keeping in or as in a cabinet; hence, to preserve with care and affection; cherish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. enclose in a shrine
- v. hold sacred
From en- + shrine. (Wiktionary)