American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make a god of; raise to the condition of a god.
- v. To worship or revere as a god: deify a leader.
- v. To idealize; exalt: deifying success.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a god of; exalt to the rank of a deity; enroll among the gods.
- To regard as an object of worship; adore or worship as a deity.
- To make godlike; exalt spiritually.
- v. transitive To make a god of (something or someone).
- v. transitive To treat as worthy of worship; to regard as a deity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make a god of; to exalt to the rank of a deity; to enroll among the deities; to apotheosize.
- v. To praise or revere as a deity; to treat as an object of supreme regard.
- v. To render godlike.
- v. consider as a god or godlike
- v. exalt to the position of a God
- From French déifier, from Latin deificāre, from deus ("god"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English deifien, from Old French deifier, from Late Latin deificāre, from deificus, deific; see deific. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The story that accompanied the cover shoot did not "deify" the Palins or their choices, nor did it push any sort of policy.”
“(changed "deify" to "lionize". not sure atheists are into deifying) '' 'Liberal denial' '' is the tendency of [[liberals]] to conceal, deny or censor the truth for ideological reasons.”
“There is a clear determination to deify these former prisoners.”
“A God who doesn't deify man can't have any appeal, whether he exists or not.”
“Pretend that you know something about the Constitution, deify Reagan, whine about radicals, talk like a tough guy, invoke freedom, and repeat.”
“But Reagan's damage was done long ago -- and those who have swallowed the myth whole continue to propagate it, while attempting to deify him.”
“Do they really need to deify and demean their political opponent at the same time?”
“You deify your politics and ascribe your political positions as those of your “god” without so much as a hint of biblical basis for your assertion or belief.”
““Wittynamehere,” when you wrote the words “deify the incontinence of the one true word of the almighty,” what did you mean by that?”
“Wittynamehear: “We will shout, we will harken, we will deify the incontinence of the one true word of the almighty!””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘deify’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
Looking for tweets for deify.