from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make a god of; raise to the condition of a god.
- transitive v. To worship or revere as a god: deify a leader.
- transitive v. To idealize; exalt: deifying success.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make a god of (something or someone).
- v. To treat as worthy of worship; to regard as a deity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make a god of; to exalt to the rank of a deity; to enroll among the deities; to apotheosize.
- transitive v. To praise or revere as a deity; to treat as an object of supreme regard.
- transitive v. To render godlike.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a god of; exalt to the rank of a deity; enroll among the gods.
- To regard as an object of worship; adore or worship as a deity.
- To make godlike; exalt spiritually.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. consider as a god or godlike
- v. exalt to the position of a God
The story that accompanied the cover shoot did not "deify" the Palins or their choices, nor did it push any sort of policy.
(changed "deify" to "lionize". not sure atheists are into deifying) '' 'Liberal denial' '' is the tendency of [[liberals]] to conceal, deny or censor the truth for ideological reasons.
There is a clear determination to deify these former prisoners.
A God who doesn't deify man can't have any appeal, whether he exists or not.
Pretend that you know something about the Constitution, deify Reagan, whine about radicals, talk like a tough guy, invoke freedom, and repeat.
But Reagan's damage was done long ago -- and those who have swallowed the myth whole continue to propagate it, while attempting to deify him.
Do they really need to deify and demean their political opponent at the same time?
You deify your politics and ascribe your political positions as those of your “god” without so much as a hint of biblical basis for your assertion or belief.
“Wittynamehere,” when you wrote the words “deify the incontinence of the one true word of the almighty,” what did you mean by that?
Wittynamehear: “We will shout, we will harken, we will deify the incontinence of the one true word of the almighty!”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.