from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To declare (a deceased person) to be a saint and entitled to be fully honored as such.
- transitive v. To include in the biblical canon.
- transitive v. To include in a literary canon.
- transitive v. To approve as being within canon law.
- transitive v. To treat as sacred; glorify.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To establish as a formal, standard rule.
- v. To declare (a person) as a saint.
- v. To glorify; to exalt to the highest honour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To declare (a deceased person) a saint; to put in the catalogue of saints.
- transitive v. To glorify; to exalt to the highest honor.
- transitive v. To rate as inspired; to include in the canon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To enroll officially in the canon or catalogue of the saints; declare to be a saint; regard as a saint. See canonization.
- To admit into the canon, as of Scripture.
- To embody in canons.
- Also spelled canonise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. treat as a sacred person
- v. declare (a dead person) to be a saint
canon + -ize (Wiktionary)