from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang The human head.
- n. The jack of the same suit as the card turned up by the dealer in cribbage, scoring one point for the holder.
- n. Chiefly British Slang A person of wealth or social standing: "The nobs were forever snubbing the snobs” ( Conor Cruise O'Brien).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a wealthy or influential person; a toff
- n. the head (somewhat archaic) Used in one version of the Nursery Rhyme: Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water; Jack fell down and broke his crown, and Jill came tumbling after. Up Jack got and home did trot, as fast as he could caper; to old Dame Dob to mend his nob, with vinegar and brown paper.
- n. a jack of the same suit as the card turned up by the dealer
- n. The glans penis, the sensitive bulbous structure at the end of the penis also known as the head of the penis. (also spelled knob)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The head.
- n. A person in a superior position in life; a nobleman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The head.
- n. In gunnery, the plate under the swing-bed for the head of an elevating-screw.
- n. Same as knobstick, 2.
- n. A point counted in the game of cribbage for holding the knave of trumps.
- To beat: strike.
- n. A member of the aristocracy; a swell.
- n. An abbreviation of nobis.
- n. In cribbage, the jack of the same suit as the starter held in either hand or crib.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. informal term for an upper-class or wealthy person
Perhaps variant of knob.
Possibly from nob1 or knob.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)