American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to an organic compound, especially a fatty acid, containing one or more double or triple bonds between the carbon atoms.
- adj. Capable of dissolving more of a solute at a given temperature.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not saturated.
- adj. chemistry, of a solution Not saturated; capable of dissolving more of a solute at the same temperature.
- adj. chemistry Of a compound containing atoms sharing more than one valence bond, especially of an organic compound having one or more double bonds or triple bonds between carbon atoms.
- adj. of a colour Not chromatically pure; diluted.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Capable of absorbing or dissolving to a greater degree.
- adj. (Chem.) Capable of taking up, or of uniting with, certain other elements or compounds, without the elimination of any side product. The term is applied most commonly to compounds with a double or triple bond between two carbon atoms (as in ethylene).
- adj. not saturated; capable of dissolving more of a substance at a given temperature
- adj. used of a compound (especially of carbon) containing atoms sharing more than one valence bond
- adj. (of color) not chromatically pure; diluted.
“While the pulp contains 3% protein, the seeds provide a whopping 35% and are also high in unsaturated fatty acids, probably accounting for the Aztec and Maya appreciation of their food value.”
“Between the land surface and the aquifer water is a zone that hydrologists call the unsaturated zone.”
“Some butterbur products contain chemicals called unsaturated pyrrolizidine alkaloids, which can harm the liver.”
“These fats are also called unsaturated fats, and they not only prolong the metabolic boost of the carbohydrate they are combined with, but also are good for your heart and for the rest of your body.”
“Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that older men and women who follow a restricted-calorie diets and those rich in "healthy" fats (called unsaturated fatty acids) may protect the aging brain.”
“(called unsaturated fatty acids) may protect the aging brain.”
“Have meals with the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and the right kinds of fat (such as unsaturated and monounsaturated fats, olive oil, canola oil, pistachios, almonds and walnuts).”
“Best oils to cook in are the mon-unsaturated i.e. olive oil and canola.”
“• An article about the eating habits of teenagers said a recent national survey showed that they "scoff too much unsaturated fat and don't get enough iron and calcium".”
“However, this big fat myth has been replaced with distinctions among fats trans fat, saturated fat and unsaturated fat.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘unsaturated’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Looking for tweets for unsaturated.