from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Botany Not cyclic. Used especially of flowers whose parts are arranged in spirals rather than in whorls, as in magnolias.
- adj. Chemistry Having an open-chain molecular structure rather than a ring-shaped structure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not cyclic; having an open chain structure
- adj. not cyclic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of a flower, having its parts inserted spirally on the receptacle.
- adj. Having an open-chain structure; aliphatic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany, not cyclic; not arranged in whorls.
- In dynamics, not having the property of whirling or moving in circles.
- Irregular in course; not occurring with normal periodicity.
- In chem., containing no cycle or ring: said of organic compounds which contain no ring of atoms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not cyclic; especially having parts arranged in spirals rather than whorls
- adj. having an open chain structure
a- + cyclic (Wiktionary)