from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yellow crystalline powder, C14H8O2, that is insoluble in water and used chiefly in the manufacture of dyes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tricyclic quinone, derived from anthracene.
- n. Any derivative of this parent compound, mostly natural pigments or synthetic dyes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hydrocarbon, C6H4.C2O2.C6H4, subliming in shining yellow needles. It is obtained by oxidation of anthracene.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A product (C14H8O2) obtained from anthracene by the action of oxidizing agents. From it alizarin is prepared.
anthra(cene) + quinone.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
anthra- + quinone (Wiktionary)