American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A white crystalline compound, C6H5NH(COCH3), formerly used in medicine to relieve pain and reduce fever. It has been replaced by safer agents because of its toxicity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A substance, C6H5NH.C2H3O, formed by heating aniline and glacial acetic acid for several hours, or by the action of acetyl chlorid or acetic anhydrid on aniline.
- n. organic chemistry, pharmacology The amide derived from acetic acid and aniline; once used medicinally as an analgesic and antipyretic.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) An amide formed from aniline and an acetyl group (C6H5.NH.CO.CH3); it is a white crystalline compound used as an analgesic and also as an antipyretic. It has molecular weight 135.16.
- n. a white crystalline compound used as an analgesic and also as an antipyretic
- From acetyl + anilide. (Wiktionary)
- acet(o)- + anil(ine) + -ide. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“An important adulterant, which should always be tested for, is acetanilide (antifebrin), which may be detected by the characteristic isocyanide odour produced when musk containing this substance is boiled with alcoholic potash, and a few drops of chloroform added.”
“SO_ H. Anilides, compounds in which the amino group is substituted by an acid radical, are prepared by heating aniline with certain acids; antifebrin or acetanilide is thus obtained from acetic acid and aniline.”
“Influence of certain drugs upon the toxicity of acetanilide and antipyrine.”
“The historic popularity of opium, and of late of the coal-tar products (phenacetine and acetanilide), in the beginning of an acute illness, is largely based on the power which they possess of dulling pain, relieving disturbances of the blood-balance, and soothing bodily and mental excitement.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acetanilide’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for acetanilide.