American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Capable of soothing or eliminating pain.
- adj. Relaxing: anodyne novels about country life.
- n. A medicine, such as aspirin, that relieves pain.
- n. A source of soothing comfort.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having power to relieve pain; hence, soothing to the feelings.
- n. A medicine or drug which relieves pain, as an opiate or a narcotic; hence, figuratively, anything that allays mental pain or distress.
- n. pharmacology Any medicine or other agent that relieves pain.
- n. figuratively A source of relaxation or comfort.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Serving to assuage pain; soothing.
- n. Any medicine which allays pain, as an opiate or narcotic; anything that soothes disturbed feelings.
- adj. capable of relieving pain
- n. a medicine used to relieve pain
- From Latin anōdynus ("painless"), from Ancient Greek ἀνώδυνος (anōdynos, "free from pain"), from ἀν- (an-, "without") + ὀδύνη (odynē, "pain"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin anōdynus, from Greek anōdunos, free from pain : an-, without; see a-1 + odunē, pain; see ed- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“HoF II was designed by the Taylor Morrison company, a home builder specializing in anodyne subdevelopmental housing in the Southwest.”
“Theyre's a band called anodyne that sounds pretty interesting playing tomorrow, and I talked to Big Jim about going. .but the Nor'easter has put those plans in jeopardy.”
“It may be that the last new anodyne, which is warranted to have all the virtues and none of the ill-effects of opium, had also come to the end of _its_ tether.”
“A strong infusion or tea of the hop is one of the most valuable remedies we have for gravel, and inflammation of the kidneys and bladder, it is narcotic or anodyne, that is it alleviates pain and produces sleep.”
The Cherokee Physician, or Indian Guide to Health, as Given by Richard Foreman, a Cherokee Doctor; Comprising a Brief View of Anatomy, With General Rules for Preserving Health without the Use of Medicines. The Diseases of the U. States, with Their Symptoms, Causes, and Means of Prevention, are Treated on in a Satisfactory Manner. It Also Contains a Description of a Variety of Herbs and Roots, Many of which are not Explained in Any Other Book, and their Medical Virtues have Hitherto been Unknown to the Whites; To which is Added a Short Dispensatory.
“As a noun, the English "anodyne" means "something that relieves pain," as you said, and as an adjective it means "pain-relieving.”
“She had this quote in her convention speech, a kind of anodyne quote about how small towns are good.”
“Any pretext for action was a kind of anodyne, and she despatched her maid to the Farlows 'with a note asking if Miss Viner would receive her.”
“One remembers Defoe, who for so many years lived in the reputation of honourable politics and in the odour of such sanctity as Robinson Crusoe could give, until the discovery of certain yellow papers revealed the base political treachery for which the great island story had been a kind of anodyne to conscience.”
“Rachel moved about in the darkened rooms, feeling as if the faint, sweet, overpowering perfume were a kind of anodyne, that was mercifully, during those early days, lulling her senses into lethargy.”
“_Last Essays on Church and Religion_, the first is an elaborate and rather anxious apology, and the second a collection of diverse and comparatively "anodyne" essays.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘anodyne’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Words to quiz the intermediate and advanced speller alike
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
The discovering of neuro and phago-cyte nano-engineered biology...
Looking for tweets for anodyne.