from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A love potion.
- n. A magic potion or charm.
- transitive v. To enchant with or as if with a philter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To impregnate or mix with a love potion.
- v. To charm to love; to excite to love or sexual desire by a potion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A potion or charm intended to excite the passion of love.
- transitive v. To impregnate or mix with a love potion.
- transitive v. To charm to love; to excite to love or sexual desire by a potion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A potion supposed to have the power of exciting sexual love; a love-potion.
- To impregnate with a love-potion: as, to philter a draught.
- To excite to sexual love or desire by a potion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a drink credited with magical power; can make the one who takes it love the one who gave it
French philtre, from Old French, from Latin philtrum, from Greek philtron, from philein, to love, from philos, beloved, loving.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek φίλτρον (philtron), from φιλέω (phileō, "I love"). (Wiktionary)