American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Tending to lower the rate of vital physiological activities.
- n. An agent, especially a drug, that decreases the rate of vital physiological activities.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In medicine, a sedative.
- n. A therapeutic agent which is employed to reduce mental or physical strength.
- Causing a lowering of the physical or mental forces.
- n. pharmacology A pharmacological substance which decreases neuronal or physiological activity.
- n. mining An agent that inhibits the flotation of a mineral or minerals.
- adj. Acting as a depressant.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) An agent or remedy which lowers the vital powers.
- adj. capable of depressing physiological or psychological activity or response by a chemical agent
- n. a drug that reduces excitability and calms a person
“The budget, with expected focus on rural economy, infrastructure, health and education is likely to benefit stocks of FMCG, power, infrastructure and capital goods sector, while the expected 2% excise hike can act as a near-term depressant for sectors like automobiles ”
“I think the Obama announcement is a near-term depressant on auto sales and the economy," said one Ford official Tuesday.”
“That is, don't take "depressant" drugs -- drugs that make you calm or sleepy, not depressed!!!”
“Freddy: For Ms R alcohol is a depressant which is one reason why she rarely drinks.”
“She did offer an anti-depressant which is contraindicated for anyone with a heart condition specifically arrhythmias.”
“Once again, in my case one of those is a minimum dosage (10 mg) of an anti-depressant which is used for chronic pain control and although it's very effective in doing this there's an inherent problem-anti-depressants make me depressed.”
“Remembering my seventh grade health class and figuring out that alcohol by nature is a depressant, it was an easy jump for me to keep crying uncontrollably.”
“He is a major buyer of dollars, and if correct a rising dollar will be a depressant for gold prices.”
“Ditto Big Pharma, which fears marijuana as a superior anti-depressant with healing capabilities far beyond a whole multi-billlion-dollar arsenal of prescription drugs with deadly side effects.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘depressant’.
Looking for tweets for depressant.