American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that serves to tranquilize, as soothing music.
- n. Any of various drugs used to reduce tension or anxiety; an antianxiety agent.
- n. Any of various drugs used to treat psychotic states; an antipsychotic drug. Not in scientific use.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which tranquilizes. Also spelled tranquiliser, tranquilliser.
- n. That which tranquillizes or soothes.
- n. pharmacology A drug used to reduce anxiety or tension; a sedative.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who, or that which, tranquilizes.
- n. a drug used to reduce stress or tension without reducing mental clarity
“So drugs like fluphenazine (a long-term tranquilizer) is not allowed under most racing jurisdictions or under USEF and FEI rules, but racing jurisdictions may not expend the cost at the lab level to detect this drug that USEF and FEI would because of the potential for abuse in jumpers and show horses.”
“Shooting the animal with a tranquilizer is an option, according to Graves.”
“And cases from one kind of tranquilizer nearly doubled.”
“Maybe they could put some kind of tranquilizer on the pizza to put everyone to sleep," I continued.”
“About 15 minutes in -- when I realized that Palin was sober and cogent (I am increasingly suspicious that she had downed some kind of tranquilizer or depressant before the Katie interview), that she was going after Biden directly, and that he was not going to go after her -- I began to feel ill.”
“The story notes one drug war success -- the elimination of quaaludes, a kind of tranquilizer popular in the late '70s and early' 80s -- and suggests that a similar success could have been had fighting methamphetamine if lobbyists hadn't delayed the enactment of restrictions on precursor chemicals.”
“And he and I were talking about the possibility of arufio (ph) or some kind of tranquilizer being slipped in this young woman ` s drink.”
“I remember recovering from an operation in the early 1960s and, prior to my discharge, having the doctor prescribe a new, very effective "tranquilizer" to help me sleep.”
“tranquilizer" to help him forget life's troubles.”
“I am sure in Lacrosse, they would not have or know off hand the doseage of tranquilizer to give the bear.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tranquilizer’.
Looking for tweets for tranquilizer.